To learn Passive Voice, you should know the following Grammar Sections:
- Irregular Verb Forms.
- Subject – Verb – Object Order.
Passive Voice is the reverse mode of a normal sentence (active voice).
- In the sentence, “Sam loved Mary,” Sam > loved > Mary is active voice because the order is Subject > Verb > Object.
- Who loved? Sam.
- What did Sam do? Loved
- Whom did Sam love? Mary
- In passive, the order changes to Object > auxiliary verb > Verb > by > Subject, i.e., “Mary is loved by Sam.“
- Ram makes kites.
- My father loves me.
- Stella writes novels.
- My friends bought a new cricket bat.
- I make tasty tea.
- Kites are made by Ram.
- I am loved by my father.
- Novels are written by Stella.
- A new cricket bat was bought by my friends.
- Tasty tea is made by me.
Note that there are 2 objects in the following sentences. In the first, me and English are the 2 objects. Here, we have to start with the more important object. So, “me” is more important than English because a human being is more important than a language.
- My mother teaches me¹ English².
- They made him¹ their king².
- Sanjana gifted her brother¹ an elephant².
- Mother told me¹ a new story².
- I am taught English by my mother.
- He was made their king by them.
- Her brother was gifted an elephant by Sanjana.
- I was told a new story by mother.
- I know your name. (is/am/are) : Your name is known to/by me.
- We grow berries on this hill. (is/am/are) : Berries are grown on this hill.
- She loves her parents. (is/am/are) : Her parents are loved by her.
- Raju broke my legs. (was/were) : My legs were broken by Raju.
- I drove this car. (was/were) : This car was driven by me.
Next – Tense-wise Examples
- I read novels – Novels are read by me.
- We grow rice – Rice is grown by us.
- She runs a shop – A shop is run by her.
Present Continuous – is/are/am + Being + V³
- We are watering our plants. – Our plants are being watered.
- He is selling eggs. – Eggs are being sold by him.
- The beaver is eating trees. – Trees are being eaten by the beaver.
Present Perfect | Has/have been + V³
- She has told me that story – I have been told that story by her.
- He has sold eggs – Eggs have been sold by him.
- The beaver has eaten the trees – Trees have been eaten by the beaver.
Simple Past | was/were + V³
- We invited the President – The President was invited by us.
- He sold eggs – Eggs were sold by him.
- The beaver ate the trees – Trees were eaten by the beaver.
Past Continuous | was/were being + V³
- He was reading this book – This book was being read by him.
- He was selling books – Books were being sold by him.
- The beaver was eating the trees – The trees were being eaten by the beaver.
Past Perfect | had been + V³
- Sam had planted this tree – This tree had been planted by Sam.
- He had sold books – Books had been sold by him.
- The beaver had eaten the trees – Trees had been eaten by the beaver.
Simple Future | will/shall + be + V³
- They will bring the news – The news will be brought by them.
- He will sell books – Books will be sold by him.
- The beaver will eat the trees – The trees will be eaten by the beaver.
Future Continuous | will be + beings + V³
- She will be baking the cake – The cake will be being baked by her.
- He will be selling books – Books will be being sold by him.
- The beaver will be eating the books – The books will be being eaten by the beaver.
Practice Questions | With Answers
- I brought home some small fish.
Some small fish were brought home by me.
- She fed us reasonably.
We were fed reasonably by her.
- The French eat frog legs while the Chinese eat frogs.
Frog-legs are eaten by the French while frogs are eaten by the Chinese.
- They labelled the crates.
The crates were labelled.
- Granny hired some laborers to empty the lily pond.
Some laborers were hired to empty the lily pond by Granny.
- I pulled the flush chain.
The flush chain was pulled by me.
Next – Golden Rules
- When active sentence is converted to passive, the TENSE remains the same.
- Always the passive verb form is V3 or the third form of the verb.
- Passive voice begins with the object of the sentence. That is, “Sam drives a new car” becomes “A new car is driven by Sam.” Note that Sam comes last and Car comes first.
- Continuous tenses take “being+V3”
- I am writing a story.
- Perfect tenses take “Been.”
- “She has broken the record” becomes “The record has been broken by her. Note Has+been+V3.
H > Be
M > Be
D > Be
Type 1 – Statements
- They invited some beggars.
- He abused my brother.
- We enjoy helping others.
- I gave him a punch. (Begin with the main object, that is, “Him/he”)
- The baby spilled a glass of water.
- They sell oranges. (sell – sold – sold)
- My cousins are riding cycles. (ride -rode – ridden)
- Her father treats cancer patients. (treat – treated – treated)
- Madhu is digging out a pit. (dig – dug – dug)
- She is buying a new car. (buy – bought – bought)
- Some beggars were invited by them
- My brother was abused by him.
- Helping others is enjoyed by us.
- He was given a punch.
- A glass of water was spilled by the baby.
- Oranges are sold by them.
- Cycles are being ridden by my cousins.
- Cancer patients are treated by her father.
- A pit is being dug out by Madhu.
- A new car is being bought by her.
- My uncle has brought a puppy. (bring – brought – brought)
- We find this bird only in September.
- They sold oranges. (sell – sold – sold)
- My cousins were riding cycles. (ride -rode – ridden)
- Her father treated cancer patients. (treat – treated – treated)
- Madhu was digging out a pit. (dig – dug – dug)
- She was buying a new car. (buy – bought – bought)
- My uncle had brought a puppy. (bring – brought – brought)
- We found this bird only in September.
- They will sell oranges. (sell – sold – sold)
- A puppy has been bought by my uncle.
- This bird is found only in September.
- Oranges were sold by them.
- Cycles were being ridden by my cousins.
- Cancer patients were treated by her father.
- A pit was being dug out by Madhu.
- A new car was being bought by her.
- A puppy had been bought by my uncle.
- This bird was found only in September.
- Oranges will be sold by them.
- My cousins will be riding cycles. (ride -rode – ridden)
- Her father will treat cancer patients. (treat – treated – treated)
- Madhu will be digging a pit. (dig – dug – dug)
- She will be buying a new car. (buy – bought – bought)
- My uncle will have brought a puppy. (bring – brought – brought
- I can tell you what you want now.
- I will tell you how I got this name.
- She told me that she loved my voice.
- No one gave me an advice.
- Well, you will win your prize.
- Cycles will be being ridden by my cousins.
- Cancer patients will be treated by her father.
- A pit will be being dub by Madhu.
- A new car will be being bought by her.
- A puppy will have been brought by my uncle.
- What you want now can be told by me.
- You will be told how I got this name.
- I was told by her that she loved my voice.
- I was given an advice by no one.
- Well, your prize will be won.
- We accepted his invitation.
- His dinner surprised us.
- We ate all the snacks and drank all the juices.
- He gave us a special drink that we never had drunk.
- After the dinner he took us to the river bank.