Part 1 – About yourself, your family, your work and your interests.
Part 2 – Speak about a topic. You will be given a task card which asks you to speak about a particular topic and includes points that you can cover in your talk. You will be given 1 minute to prepare your talk. You will then speak for 1-2 minutes.
Part 3 – You have a longer discussion on the topic. The examiner will ask you further questions connected to the topic in Part 2.
Part 2 + 3 SAMPLES
A TRAIN JOURNEY YOU HAVE HAD RECENTLY
Traveling by a train used to be my rarest childhood memories. I still recall the faint images of moving coaches, crowded platforms and the cries of the vendors selling tea and coffee. Speaking about a recent train journey, I would like to narrate my journey from Kannur to Ernakulam a couple of months ago.
It was a rainy day and I was going to Ernakulam with my family. Our trip was not of any serious nature. It was a pleasure trip during which we were to visit some of our relatives, friends and the Ernakulam Marine Drive.
I boarded the train with my father, mother, wife and my two children at Kannur station. We found our seats and placed our little bags under and on the berths. The coach was not air conditioned so we had to lift the windows. My kids occupied the window seats and started watching the rainy landscape occasionally interrupted by passing trains or by a more pleasant rivers and backwaters.
Co passengers were friendly so my father found himself talking with them and mother was, as always, sleepy. I kept on pointing out the unhygienic food and the interiors and my wife kept on criticizing me.
It was such a memorable journey that we still long to undertake similar journeys.
- What do you really hate during a train journey?
In a train journey I really hate the indiscipline behavior of passengers. They come from different societies, of varying characters and uneven religion temperaments. It is little difficult to cooperate and adjust with them. We do not know which type of people are in the train so it is difficult to convince them of the disturbance on their part that we are suffering. The indiscipline manner from the people makes irritation to me.
- Better avoid “behavior and manner after indiscipline.
- Irritates me is better than “irritation to me”.
- Do you easily make friends during a train journey? Why / Why not?
Yes, since my childhood it has been easy to make friends during a train journey and I liked to make friends wherever I went. I was talkative by nature in my childhood but when I grew up it became difficult for me. I feel ashamed to talk to others. I don’t know why.
- What changes would you introduce to railways if you have authority?
I will introduce a clean railway system. Nowadays it is necessary to drink plenty of water especially in summer season. So, I will introduce drinking water facility for people. For do not get tired it is good to implement any entertainment facilities like music and television shows. I will introduce a special room for sick people to take rest.
- What could be done to improve hygiene on a train?
Today many people are not bothered about hygiene. In train people use dirty seats that are coated with dust or any waste of food items. It is necessary to clean the seats and the toilets in the train. It is a usual scene that people throw waste food outside the window. It need to stop. So, it is good to have a waste basket near to the toilets. It is necessary to wash the blankets that is used by the passengers.
STEPS TO SPEAK EFFECTIVELY
- Have a clear idea about what you are going to speak.
- Make a well-laid plan.
- Make best choice.
- See what tense you will be using.
- Past “An event”
- Present “A current issue”
- Future “My plans for 2020”
- Does it have a combination of tenses.
- Past + Present
- Present + Future
- Past + Present + Future
- Do not “think back”. What is spoken is spoken!
SOME CUE CARDS
Describe your traveling to an unknown place all by yourself.
- Which was the place?
- When did you travel?
- Why were you travelling?
- How did you travel?
- What were your fears / excitements?
- Whom did you meet on the way?
- How did you feel on reaching?
- What are your reminiscences about that journey when you look back at it today?
Speak about a situation when you were falsely accused by your colleagues.
- Where and when did this happen?
- What was that situation?
- Why was it false and why did they do so?
- How did you react to this and how did they react to you?
- How did the tension freeze? What was its aftermath?
- How do you look at this incident now?
My first day in the office:
The first day in my career was a memorable day for me.After my post graduation i got appointed as a medical social worker in a famous cancer hospital in Thalassery.On the first day i reached the hospital at 9.At that time some of the employees came there and started their work.after reaching there i felt some difficulty to find the office with the help of one security man in front of the gate i found the office and he directed me to the proper destination.
Describe an animation film you watched recently.
- Name the animation film.
The animation film I recently watched is Jurassic Park.
- Say something about the film.
It is a well crafted film directed by Stephen Spielberg and crew.
- What did you like?
- What didn’t appeal to your aesthetic sense?
- Which areas of the film could have been better made?
Describe a bad day in your life.
- What was that day?
- Why was it bad?
- Who was responsible for that?
- How did you get out of it?
What all things will you do if this day is your last day on this planet?
If you were the prime minister of your country, what all changes will you make for betterment of your nation?
Which time is better – your childhood or the present time?
- Make a choice. You chose “Present time.”
- Why is present time better?
Speak about a train journey you have undertaken recently.
- Train journey
- At Thalassery station, a few passengers got in and a lady on my right got up and ran out.
- When the train reached Mahe, the next station, it was raining very heavily.
- At 8.45 the train reached Vadakara Station.
- We reached Koilandy station at 9.15. Here I opened my tiffin box and had my dinner. My mother had served me rice and chicken.
- When we reached Calicut Station, I was half asleep.
- What you liked
- What you disliked
- Any incident
What preparations will you do if the government warns against a month long natural disaster in your country?
- Name the natural disaster.
- Mention the preparations and why would you do such preparations?